Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Old Dome Station

  I recently reformatted my computer and began pulling in and re-organizing my giant catalogues of photos.  I started going over the pictures from when I wintered over at the South Pole and especially those of the Old Dome Station.  Construction of the giant Elevated Station was completed during my year at the Pole while the Dome was used for food storage.  The following summer the National Science Foundation and Raytheon Polar decided to finally demolish it.  I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to photograph this historic and iconic building during its last winter.  
Me in front of the Dome and Elevated Station at the South Pole
Aurora and star trails above the Dome
The Dome sits quietly beneath the southern stars
The Moon and a hint of sunrise on the horizon
The Last Full Moon above the Old Dome Station
Full Moon above the South Pole
Dawn at the South Pole.  
Sunrise at the South Pole

No comments: